New Discussion юеВ

Re: Voice Vlan, QOS, COS, Security & config

SOLVED
Go to solution
MikaelBoyer
Occasional Advisor

Voice Vlan, QOS, COS, Security & config

Hello

i have my phone systme on VoiP. I have issues on conversation i'm sure i have some paquet loss thank to a MOS analysis.

I check my switch (90% of them are 1910-24 port) and with the command display current-configuration i don't find any trace of QOS.

Furthermore, on some switch i just have the vlan configured, not even on voice vlan, i don't have any problem at all. On some of my switch i even have the following commad : undo voice vlan security.

I discover that each switch is different : on some the interface is voic vlan enable, on other there is no mention of it.

I search the web and it disturb me even more : when i try to implement QOS, i have a error due to the voice vlan activated... And other page talk about cos and not qos

i want to change the configuration on all my switches to have a uniform network, and since networking is not my strong suit, i prefer to ask here :

What is the purpose af activate the voice vlan on my switches ? What the risk of not doing it ?

Can i delete the line "undo voice vlan security" ?

What's the difference between QOS and COS ?

Can anyone tell me how to implement either ?

Thank in advance

Mikael

2 REPLIES 2
akg7
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi,

Please find inline answers:

What is the purpose af activate the voice vlan on my switches ? What the risk of not doing it ?
A voice VLAN is configured for voice traffic. After assigning the ports that connect to voice devices to a voice VLAN, the system automatically modifies quality of service (QoS) parameters for voice traffic, to improve the transmission priority of voice traffic and ensure voice quality.

Can i delete the line "undo voice vlan security" ?
In security mode, the ports in a voice VLAN and with voice devices attached to can only forward voice data. Data packets with their MAC addresses not among the OUI addresses that can be identified by the system will be filtered out. This mode has no effects on other VLANs.
By default, the voice VLAN security mode is enabled.
In a safe network, you can configure the voice VLANs to operate in normal mode, reducing the consumption of system resources due to source MAC addresses checking.
Hewlett Packard Enterprise recommends not transmitting both voice packets and non-voice packets in a voice VLAN. If you have to, first make sure that the voice VLAN security mode
is disabled.

What's the difference between QOS and COS ?
--CoS operates at layer 2 in OSI later, whereas QoS is implemented in layer 3.
--CoS defines priority levels and QoS manipulates traffic according to these defined priority levels.
--CoS does not guarantee fixed bandwidth or delivery time, but QoS guarantees fixed bandwidth for critical applications.

Can anyone tell me how to implement either ?
Please refer below link of user guide pg.452  for Configuring QoS.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=c03941555

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
MikaelBoyer
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

First, i'm sorry i wasn't able to reply sooner

Thank you your return, you help me clarify the subject.

On my switches the port have been configured on hybrid port : vlan x untagged and vlan Tel tagged. I understand better why the security is disable now.

I'll start to transform all my switches where i have just the vlan tel on a voice vlan. Qos will be enable then, but if i want to create a personal strategy i have to follow your link ? But that's not a necessity ?

mikael