Web and Unmanaged
1748074 Members
5250 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 1950 stacking via Ethernet, can I use SFP+ for trunks?

SOLVED
Go to solution
CraigZA
Occasional Contributor

HP 1950 stacking via Ethernet, can I use SFP+ for trunks?

Hi all

Looking at 7 x 1950 48G PoE+ 10Gbe/10G SFP+ switches for a network upgrade.

Planning to stack 4 units via 10G copper ports and have the other 3 stanadlone on other floors in wiring closets.

If stacking 4 switches via 10G copper, this leaves me with 8 SFP+ ports, can I use these ports as trunk ports to ESXI servers and the other 3 standalone switches?  No dual personality/combo issues?

I did check the manual and Google and found nothing leading me to believe they are dual personality/combo ports but I thought I'd get confirmation first before pulling the trigger on these devices.

Many thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
parnassus
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HP 1950 stacking via Ethernet, can I use SFP+ for trunks?

@CraigZA: don't worry, the two SFP+ slots (for SFP or SFP+ Transceivers) and two 10G Base-T ports aren't combo (no combo options on the entire HPE OfficeConnect 1950 Switch series: JH295A, JG960A, JG961A, JG962A and JG963A).

Also no particular restrictions are valid with regard to logical IRF ports (stacking logical ports) binding to physical interfaces: that means that you can eventually mix one SFP+ interface and one 10G BASE-T interface by binding them to the same logical IRF Port without worrying that you should use all or nothing (all 10G BASE-T or all SFP+). Also no 10G ports grouping seems to be present (so you're free to use, let me say, one 10G BASE-T or one SFP+ port for IRF and the remaning others for LAGs - Link Aggregation Group(s) - or just single link uplinks to other Switches).

Screenshot_2018-05-04_16-30-51.png

Screenshot above taken from HPE OfficeConnect 1950 Switch Series Getting Started Guide.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
CraigZA
Occasional Contributor

Re: HP 1950 stacking via Ethernet, can I use SFP+ for trunks?

Thanks for the speedy and accurate response!