4544 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to install CTM on OpenVMS?

Duncan Morris
Honored Contributor

Shubhadip,

What type of drive is DNA2 - cd/hard drive/USB stick???? How was the drive formatted, and what command did you use to mount it?

If it is USB stick, then please see this thread about mounting and reading:

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1228396186310+28353475&threadId=1280742

You might also find more help being offered if you were to take the time to assign some points to the folk who have taken the time to reply to your threads:

"I have assigned points to 0 of 18 responses to my questions."

Duncan

Hoff
Honored Contributor

As for transferring files around with OpenVMS, that involves reading the manuals and such (start with the user's guide and the system managers' manuals) to become familiar with the DCL commands and command sequences (whether COPY or the PRODUCT installation commands or such, this stuff is in the manuals), and (for transferring files among heterogeneous systems) quite often getting IP networking and the ftp or sftp daemon configured and running on the OpenVMS server.

The OpenVMS and TCP/IP Services documents:

http://www.hp.com/go/openvms

As for the specific sequence here, details of what you tried to do, what OpenVMS command(s) you used, and what error messages you received. There are many potential failure cases here, particularly given the details of the OpenVMS USB support and file system.

It's not obvious if this is a CD or DVD drive or a USB keydisk, the DN device name can be used for various USB block storage devices.

Transferring files can be more difficult than it should be with flash drives (guessing that this is a USB flash drive) as I'm guessing the remote end of the connection is Windows, and Windows and OpenVMS don't share file formats. You'll need to bring a tool to read the FAT file system on-line on OpenVMS, and that's more complex.

If this is a CD or DVD, that can be a bit easier, and the link that Duncan Morris referenced has some details. And the manuals for OpenVMS have details on MOUNT and COPY and related. (But we'll need some details on what's going on here.)

In addition to the other documents mentioned in this reply and in earlier replies, please take the time to review the questions FAQ here:

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Understanding how to ask questions is a valuable skill for anyone, whether a newbie or experienced engineer.

If you're an HP representative, please use the internal support forums and internal support channels. If you don't know what those forums and channels are, ask your manager, or contact one of the HP representatives at the Marlborough OpenVMS engineering site via email. (If you're stuck for a name, look up Robert Brooks -- he replied earlier in this thread -- in the HP corporate email directory, and ask him for some contacts and resource.)

If you're an HP competitor or are somebody just seeking to have fun at the expense of HP by pretending to be an inexperienced HP representative -- whether for "fun" or for marketing or competitive reasons -- please go away. Thanks.

If you *are* an inexperienced HP representative, no offense is intended. We were all inexperienced once. If you're at HP, then you very likely have substantial internal OpenVMS support resources available to you. Far more than we do. Please learn about and please use them. You're soon going to be supporting *us* after all.
Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> Hi I am stuck here [...]

Does this question have anything to do with
this thread? Copying files from a USB "disk"
seems to me like a different Subject.
shubhadip Deb
Advisor

Hi Hoff,

Unserstand your concern and so let me make it clear that I am neither a HP representative nor a competitor. If I would have been a HP representative, as you said I would have not got these info from internal sources.

Anyways, I work for a company who has official deals with HP and as part of this, I am supposed to install CTM on openvms system.

Ok.. coming to the questions posted in the thread...

I am having an open VMS server(BL860C) and one USB stick is hooked up. I did a mount/foreign HP$DNA2: and it got mounted. Did the mount with foreign option because normal mount was throwing error.
Have the CTM related executables in the USB stick. When trying to copy the same to the local directory, getting the following error

<<<
$ mount/foreign HP$DNA2:
%MOUNT-I-MOUNTED, mounted on _HP$DNA2:
$ copy HP$DNA2:ctme062.a HP$DKA100:[kits]
%COPY-W-INCOMPAT, HP$DNA2:[].; (input) and HP$DKA100:[KITS].;1 (output) have inc
ompatible attributes
>>>

It would be of great help if you/someone can give me the exact steps to copy the files from USB to local directory so that I can start CTM installation on openvms 8.3

Thanks.
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

hi,

can you do a dir/full on dna2:[000000], might have to mount it /over=id and post that up.

shubhadip Deb
Advisor

Tried as u suggested.. mount with override=id failed.

<<<
$ show dev d

Device Device Error Volume Free Trans Mnt
Name Status Count Label Blocks Count Cnt
HP$DKA100: Mounted 0 WADEOVMS 61862272 269 1
HP$DNA2: Online 0
$1$DGA1000: (HP) Online 0
$ mount/foreign HP$DNA2:
%MOUNT-I-MOUNTED, mounted on _HP$DNA2:
$ show dev d

HP$DNA2: Mounted alloc 0 0 1 1
foreign
$ dir/full dna2:[000000]
%DIRECT-E-OPENIN, error opening DNA2:[000000]*.*;* as input
-SYSTEM-F-DEVFOREIGN, device is mounted foreign
$ dismount HP$DNA2:
$ show dev d

HP$DNA2: Online 0
$ mount/over=id HP$DNA2:
%MOUNT-F-NOHOMEBLK, Files-11 home block not found on volume
-MOUNT-I-VOLIDENT, label = '............', owner = 'rrAaS├В┬д..CI..', format = '...
.........'
$
>>>
marsh_1
Honored Contributor

i'd say that takes us back to hoff's comment about windows FAT file system, try burning this to cd/dvd instead making sure to finalize disk

good luck ! :-)

Steven Schweda
Honored Contributor

> [...] How was the drive formatted, [...]

Still wondering here.

> %MOUNT-F-NOHOMEBLK, Files-11 home block not found on volume

It appears not to be a VMS-format "disk".

> [...] please see this thread [...]:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1280742

Did you?

If you're just trying to move files from a
Windows system to a VMS system, then a
network method (like FTP) would probably be
easier.

General hint: Please describe the actual
problem which you are trying to solve (like
moving files), _not_ how to implement a
particular "solution" to that problem (like
how to use a USB storage gizmo),
particularly when that "solution" is not the
best solution.

And then, please describe the problem in
enough detail that you get back more answers
than questions.

And when you get questions, please answer
them.
Hoff
Honored Contributor

Ok, so I'm going to assume Microsoft Windows is involved here, and that this particular DN device is a USB flash drive.

Options for transferring files to OpenVMS:

CD or DVD ISO-9660:1988 *strict* - no extensions, no options, no nothing - strict ISO-9660:1988. No Joliet. No Rock Ridge. No HFS. No extensions. Strict. This is a very important distinction, as Windows CD authoring packages (those that actually work) tend to use one or more of these extensions. And OpenVMS doesn't.

Details on burning CD and DVD media on OpenVMS is here:

http://64.223.189.234/node/28

Or use FTP or sftp to transfer the files. This is usually the easiest approach, though there are various issues with transfer modes and transfer-related corruptions that can arise. If using ftp, ensure you select the correct ASCII or binary transfer mode, as a start.

Or go scrounge up the tools for OpenVMS that can read FAT-format volumes, assuming this storage device (USB keydisk?) was initialized on Windows. MTOOLS , MGPCX or PCDISK are common Freeware choices.

http://64.223.189.234/node/168

Freeware packages are available via archives at:

http://mvb.saic.com/
http://www.process.com/

And you will (still) have to discuss most any CTM installation, configuration or operation questions you might have directly with HP.