Advancing Life & Work
1776924 Members
1842 Online
109061 Solutions
New Article ๎ฅ‚
Labs_Editorial

From Tech Enthusiast to Innovation and Operations Project Coordinator

Maya Fischer scans the Hewlett Packard Labs exhibit space at HPE Discover 2024 with Labs Director Andrew Wheeler.Maya Fischer scans the Hewlett Packard Labs exhibit space at HPE Discover 2024 with Labs Director Andrew Wheeler.

GUEST BLOG: By Maya Fischer, Innovation and Operations Project Coordinator, Hewlett Packard Labs

When I completed my Impact MBA program at Colorado State University in December of 2022, I was hungry for the next challenge ahead: entering the workforce and making a difference, not just in theory but also in practice. I was over the moon when I was accepted for the Innovation and Operations Project Coordinator position at the renowned Hewlett Packard Labs organization. The prospect of wearing multiple different thinking hats and getting to pick the brains of some of the best researchers around the globe filled me with excitement.

The fervent dedication to fostering an equitable future for all propels my work at Labs and beyond, where I currently oversee and lead about 20 projects in collaboration with various teams. These projects range from marketing and communication efforts to sustainability initiatives in the human rights, supply chain, technology advancement, and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) space to procurement and event planning. Within Labs, I currently oversee a life cycle assessment pilot project, the refresh of our external website, coordination of Labs' show floor presence at the recent HPE Discover conference, and the development of our โ€œGet to Know the Innovatorโ€ LinkedIn series, to name a few. Beyond Labs, I mainly collaborate with HPEโ€™s Ethics and Compliance Office on leading labor KPI and supplier sustainability assessments, as well as grievance mechanism and supplier diversity efforts. All in all, a pretty awesome list of responsibilities.

One of my passions is combatting the underrepresentation of women within the STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) field through our Women in Tech Leadership project. To tackle this unbalance, HPEโ€™s Ethics and Compliance Office collaborated with the nonprofit organization RightsTech Women and Foxconn Manufacturing to provide technology training and mentorship to 44 women at the major HPE supplier site. RightsTech Women is a non-profit association advancing the human rights of women and girls in STEM. The project aims to enhance womenโ€™s career potential while considering the advancements in technology in their workplace.

Seeing how all of these incredible women joined forces and poured all their passion into developing and executing this training and mentorship program gave me hope for the future. I believe only through collaboration and participation can we make this world a better place. Thus, I took matters into my own hands and applied for a board position with RightsTech Women. I am excited to officially announce my election as board president and thrilled to be able to contribute to their mission of advancing the human rights of women in STEM.

Especially as a career starter, I greatly appreciate HPEโ€™s flexibility and support in enabling me to pursue my passions. Growing up, I had a strong, determined, and inspiring female role model โ€“ my mom! She was doing everything in her power to advance her career in medicine, battling her way through stigma and other hurdles, while taking care of me and my three siblings. I remember many late nights where she would stay up studying for upcoming tests after a long day of work, chores and childcare. Being with an employer now, that not only supports my interests and endeavors but shares my devotion for reducing barriers to female success in STEM is a dream come true.

Looking back at when I first started my role, I was concerned with making โ€œenoughโ€ of an impact in this organization without much of a technology background. I had to remind myself that life presents us with only the challenges that we are equipped to overcome. Being a learner at heart I believe I have been able to carve out a niche for myself where I can become the best version of my professional self without having to bend out of shape to manipulate a good fit. I am beyond grateful for all the support, enablement and guidance my colleagues have shown me โ€“ I truly couldnโ€™t have done it without you! Looking ahead, I am excited for what the future holds at Labs and HPE!

About the author

Maya Fischer, originally from Bamberg, Germany, embarked on a journey to the United States in 2021 to pursue her Impact MBA with a specialization in Social Entrepreneurship at Colorado State University. Following the successful completion of her program, she transitioned into a role at Hewlett Packard Labs in 2023, where she serves as an Innovation Strategy and Operations Project Coordinator. Maya's fervent dedication to fostering an equitable future for all propels her work at Labs, where she actively engages in diverse sustainability initiatives within Hewlett Packard Enterprise. Her commitment to driving positive change resonates through her professional endeavors, marking her as a catalyst for progress within her field.

0 Kudos
About the Author

Labs_Editorial