1747657 Members
2286 Online
108751 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Cannot access Smart Array Controller during boot-up

cantual

Cannot access Smart Array Controller during boot-up

Server: Proliant ML310e Gen8. 

Smart Array Contoller (B120i) is set to be used in boot options.  When i choose F5 during boot-up, the screen states "F5 has been selected..." and "...system will boot into Smart Array Contoller" but never does.  It continues to boot host OS.  Note: When I tap F5 when prompted, the screen flashes and the entire screen's resolution changes (lower-rez) but displays almost the same info.  The difference is it displays HP ACHI SATA Controller.  I'm certain the Smart Array has been selected. 

Anyone have any idea what/why this issue is happening?

Thx

19 REPLIES 19
DANDKS
HPE Pro

Greetings.

Please note: B120i is not a Smart Array Controller.

If the Drives are connected & configured to B120i, then the server is booting to the correct controller. If there are any additional Controllers installed & configured with the HDD's, then the boot options needs to be changed.

Please provide more information about the server configuration & devices installed

Thank you

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@DANDKS wrote:

Greetings.

Please note: B120i is not a Smart Array Controller.

If the Drives are connected & configured to B120i, then the server is booting to the correct controller. If there are any additional Controllers installed & configured with the HDD's, then the boot options needs to be changed.

Please provide more information about the server configuration & devices installed

Thank you

Please don't confuse users, the Gen8 B120i / B320i are embedded SATA controllers that are also called 'Dynamic Smart Array Controller' when set to that mode in RBSU.  The RAID functionality requires a proprietary driver that contains the RAID technology

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@cantual wrote:

Server: Proliant ML310e Gen8. 

Smart Array Contoller (B120i) is set to be used in boot options.  When i choose F5 during boot-up, the screen states "F5 has been selected..." and "...system will boot into Smart Array Contoller" but never does.  It continues to boot host OS.  Note: When I tap F5 when prompted, the screen flashes and the entire screen's resolution changes (lower-rez) but displays almost the same info.  The difference is it displays HP ACHI SATA Controller.  I'm certain the Smart Array has been selected. 

Anyone have any idea what/why this issue is happening?

Thx

From within RBSU you need to change the SATA controller options and switch the controller mode from SATA AHCI to B120i Dynamic Smart Array Controller.   You will need to download the driver for your OS (OS support is limited to Windows, VMware, Red Hat and SUSE)  Many call this 'fake raid' as it is software RAID since the RAID function is controlled by the driver.  Many prefer to use the software RAID functions built into the OS as the driver is kernel specific and requires a new driver for any kernel update.  

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
DANDKS
HPE Pro

Greetings,

B120i is a Dynamic Smart Array controller & not a traditional Smart Array controller. B120i works based on additional drivers & software RAID can be created on the connected drives. B120i is not an Intelligent hardware as compared to a traditional Smart Array Controllers.

F5 option is given only for traditional Smart Array Controller & will not work for B120i - Dynamic Smart Array controller.

Refer to ML310e Gen8 server user guide on the following link - https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03493084

Page 75

ACU is now available as an embedded utility, starting with HP ProLiant Gen8 servers. To access ACU, use
one of the following methods:
тАв If an optional controller is not installed, press F10 during boot.
тАв If an optional controller is installed, when the system recognizes the controller during POST, press F5

We would also recommend to review the B120i (Dynamic Smart Array Controller) user guide for more information.

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03326739

Please let us know about what you are trying to perform

Thank you

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
IT Global Service
Frequent Advisor

I need to reconfigure a server, starting from zero, and I had replaced the previous disks with two new SSD.

I want to configure a Raid1 array but there is no way to enter in configuration mode.

Pressing F10 , during startup, nothing happen.

Server continue to ask for system boot and restart in an infinite loop.

Where am I doing wrong ?

I'm very confused

Thank you for support

Every issue have the solution....maybe....
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You may consider to upgrade/repair Intelligent Provisioning by booting this ISO:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_a2b2caf8066e4a8b82a966d628

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
IT Global Service
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for support.

But now I'm not able to burn the iso image because the HPE USB Key Utility for Windows don't work !

No usb key was detected (I tried different usb key) (see image)

I'm runnning the utility on a Windows 10 Pro 64bit Client

Is there something running on HP ?!?!?

Cattura.JPG

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

It always worked for me. Can you access your USB drive from explorer?

However, try to "Run As Administrator ...".

Remember, the tools supports sticks up to 32GB.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
IT Global Service
Frequent Advisor

I create the usb key installing on another client (Win7) and it worked.

I boot server from usb and executed the recovery media for Intelligent Provisioning.

Recovery process di not started : "Error flashing NVRAM please try again"

I already updated server bios and ilo firmware.

I'm starting to be a little bit frustrated.....

Is two days that I'm trying to configure a simple RAID1 Array to reconfigure a server....