ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752320 Members
6064 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP SUM "Failed to add baseline" No default baseline found.

TJCornish

This is truly a ridiculous process.  The "1, 2, 3 automatic update" simply doesn't work without a bunch of undocumented clicking trying to figure out how the heck to add a baseline - even the latest version of the support pack 20140421.  This process, and its big brother HPSUM are a complete FAIL.  Every time I attempt to update drivers/firmware of a server I end up burning an hour just trying to figure out how to start the update process. 

The previous spp system actually worked, and was simple.  Let's go back to that.

switch6343
Occasional Advisor

I decided to testrun HP SUM 6.3.1  on my Notebook running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit.

1.      I copied “swpackages” from my bootable USB stick with SPP 2014.02.0 to C:\ , like in C:\swpackages

2.      I copied hpsum631 to C.\, like in C:\hpsum631

Subsequently I ran hpsum.batch (C:\hpusm631\hpsum\hpsum.bat). This opens an Internet Browser on http://localhost:63001/index.html , clicked on the icon Baseline Library > clicked on Add Baseline > Under Location Details I clicked on Browse and pointed to C:\swpackages.

Click on Add and the Baseline is populated with all the packages from swpackages. This takes quite some time!

I repeated exactly the same steps on my HP ML350 Server running Windows Server 2008 SP2 64bit as mentioned above.

Hpsum.bat starts in an Internet browser. However when I click on Add Baseline, nothing happens.

The question now is: why is it that under Baseline Library the Baseline refuses to be added when I click on Add Baseline. It does not land on the page with Location Details.

switch6343
Occasional Advisor

I have to correct my previous email where I stated:

"The question now is: why is it that under Baseline Library the Baseline refuses to be added when I click on Add Baseline. It does not land on the page with Location Details."

I DOES land in the page with Location Details, with Location Type and Location Details.

Unter Location Type I choose the default "Browsw HP SUM server path"

Unter Location Details, I click on Browse ........ but it stops there and returns to the initial page.

When I do it in my test invironment Notebook with Windows 7 Enterprise- 64bit, it all goes fine and I am able to browse to the directory with e.g. the recently published Maintenance Service Bundle for SPP.

I am pretty sure that tje problem it is related to the Internet Explorer settings. I have Internet Explorer 9 running on my HP Server with Windows Server 2008 SP2 - 64 bit. But which settings in Internet Explorer 9 cause the Browse function not to start? Which settings have to be applied to allow the Browse function to start properly? Anything to do with ActiveX Controls? Anything related to MSXML? Please note that I read the Smart Update Manager User Guide v 6.3.0. The trouble shooting page does not cover the problem as described above.

Anyone of HP who can give feedback?

switch6343
Occasional Advisor

On my HP Server I decided to choose under Location Type: Download from hp.com (instead of "Browse HP SUM server path"

Under Location Details, I entered: c:\temp

I clicked on the Retrieve Button (which changed to Blue, after I had entered c:\temp under Location Details........and again nothing happened. It also returned to the Home Page of HP Smart Update Manager 6.3.1.

I am flabbergasted. I am very sure that it's Internet Explorer 9 Security Settings related. Or the Advanced Settings under Internet Explorer 9. But which?

switch6343
Occasional Advisor

For those who want to update their server with SPP 2014020B (which hast been issued last month in April) do the following:

Copy the FULL contents of the ISO to e.g. C:\SPP2014020B

Click on hpsum.bat under C:\SPP20140402B\hp\swpackages\hpsum.bat

HP Smart Update Manager 6.3.1 will automatically populate the baseline with the latest SPP.

Miracles still exist.

switch6343
Occasional Advisor

Solution found to the mysterious symptoms of HP SUM

OK, I resolved the problem!

Install Firefox v29 on your Server. Make sure it's going to be your standard default browser (making Internet Explorer redundant).

Start under HP SUM v6.3.1 the hpsum.bat

Now the Browse button is working! You can without any problem the location where you have stored the latest SPP or the Maintenance Supplement Bundle. Warning: first have the SPP 2014.02.0B, issued in April, installed as Baseline 1 before installing the Maintenance Supplement Bundle as Baseline 2.!

I installed JAVA RTE v55 32-bit, because Firefox is a 32-bit application. That may have helped. Not sure though. Prior to installing Firefox I already had installed JAVA RTE v55 64-bit, not the 32-bit version.

I started increaslingly becoming suspicious about the culprit Microsoft Internet Explorer 9. And now I have proven it IS the root of all evil.

Monigote
Occasional Visitor

This is an old thread but the issue still occurs for HP SPP 2014.02B

This is how I get it done (windows systems):

Copy all the HP SPP files to a local directory 

Run as administrator (it doesn't matter if you have God level account, still do right click, rus as administrator) - local directory\ hp\swpackages\hpsum.bat. Choose localhost guided update 1..2..3..

If the inventory started message appears with no further progress,  close the current session: top right corner, user icon-session, click on it and select shut down HP SUM when logging off.

You can then run clear-cache.bat on the same local directory where hpsum.bat is located.

I would recommend trying using Chrome instead of Internet Explorer.

Run hpsum.bat again, select localhost guided update 1..2..3..  (interactive) and follow the steps.

Open a cold one.

Relax

amateuradmin
Occasional Contributor

There's definitely something with Internet Exploder that SUM doesn't like. Most recent version stuck at loading - never even got to inventory.

Installed Firefox, stuck at loading also. ClearCache errored, said some files were still in use. Re-booted (braver or smarter admins might have hunted down the process and killed it, I don't mess with running processes on a server)

After the re-boot, clear cache deleted the rest of the files, started Hpsum again with Firefox as the browser, rest of update proceeded without incident.

FWIW, had to use Firefox to access another HP app that provided the interface to my UPS. Maybe the same guy coded that app, or they used a common code library that Pukes internet exploder with the enhanced security configuration?
Monigote
Occasional Visitor

Clear-cache.bat gives an error when you close the browser because some files are still locked (even if the browser is closed, this is the same for IE, Chrome or Firefox).

You can open the browser again and then do the "HP way to close the session" by using the logoff user actions on the top right corner of HP SUM (see screenshots).

P.S. I foud out right click on hpsum.bat and run as administrator avoids many problems on IE.

amateuradmin
Occasional Contributor

Agreed that closing a program properly is the way to go - but IIRC that just wasn't possible.

When the package is supposed to work with Microsoft server software - it would be nice if HP would test it against a "plain vanilla" Server 2012 deployment.

SUM is supposed to make this process seamless, not a wrestling match where "install a different browser" is the solution.

I understand that scripting is necessary, but if it's prohibited in a normal ESC install of IE on a server, and the scripted part of the SUM package doesn't even throw an error for me to hunt down, it's not good.

The frustrating part is that the HP program to install the UPS software to allow a graceful shutdown (server 2003) had the same flipping problem. No progress bar, no error message, no hint of why. Firefox "fixed" that too - so it's not like this is a new problem - did that install years ago