New Discussion юеВ

HPE Proliant DL385 GEN 10 Installation and Smart Array problems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fl0w
Occasional Advisor

HPE Proliant DL385 GEN 10 Installation and Smart Array problems

Hello.

I have some problems with setting up my new DL385 GEN 10 with AMD processor.
First of all. I made a bootable USB with Windows Server 2016 and went to Intellegent Provisioning for installation (After disk raids where made.). Choose to install from USB and off i went. After the first reboot, nothing happend. I tried to push F10 and reboot and still nothing. After a while of trying i got a notification that i could update some firmware to the server, so i did. This failed and after this i go an error stating the system has an internal error and i need to dowload the latest Intellegent Provisioning ISO and reinstall it. When looking troug the forums here i find others with the same problem and the solution is to download and install a newer version of Intellegent Provisioning the file it where reffering to is this from this thread. After installing this i went ahead and tryed to install again. Only to see i can no longer see the disks in the installation help. Image 1 Image 2.

Please help with me to fix this.

Fl0w
5 REPLIES 5
Fl0w
Occasional Advisor

Re: HPE Proliant DL385 GEN 10 Installation and Smart Array problems

Ok, So i have fixed the problem with the IP. I can now see my discs and i have no FW errors.

My problem now is that i try to install Windows Server 2016 trough a USB with IP. I have tried with a bootable USB made with rufus. I have also just inserted a USB with only the ISO file. The installation starts and works up to 100% after a reboot nothing happends. There is nothing installed on the server.

I have also tried to install trough ILO with a virtual DVD from the ISO file. with both Windows server 2016 and 2012 R2.
No luck..

If i try to boot directly onto the bootable USB is says "Loading files" and then the sceen gets black with the HPE Logo.
What am i doing wrong here?

Fl0w
BPSingh
HPE Pro

Greetings!

May I know the version of Intelligent provisioning that you have updated on the server?

I understand you have tried to install from USB as well as from iLO.

Please perform the following steps:

1. Please do a manufacturing default in BIOS, go to Smart Storage administrator, delete and re-create logical drive and check.

2. Please try a manual installation and check (without Intelligent provisioning)  

3. I believe you are trying with a good known OS image. already. 

4.  Also, check what mode are you installing the OS..GUI or core (cli)

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Fl0w
Occasional Advisor

Hello, BPSingh!
Thank you for your reply.

IP version is now: 3.30

1. Please do a manufacturing default in BIOS, go to Smart Storage administrator, delete and re-create logical drive and check.
- BIOS is now resetted. Logical Drives has been deleted and created again.
Array A. 2x 300GB SAS HDD RAID 1
Array B. 3x 2.4TB SAS 512e HDD RAID 5

2. Please try a manual installation and check (without Intelligent provisioning)
- I get windows boot manager, the files load and then i get the HPE Logo where it just stops..

3. I believe you are trying with a good known OS image. already.
- I have tried Windows Server 2012 R2 and 2016.

4. Also, check what mode are you installing the OS..GUI or core (cli)
- I install GUI.

Fl0w
Fl0w
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Fixed.

When installing Windows Server directly on to HPE DL385 server with AMD processor.
Go to BIOS settings - Virtualization - Turn OFF IOMMU.

Why this bug issnt fixed yet is beyond me. I found a report about this dated back to 2018.

Fl0w
BPSingh
HPE Pro

Thank you for the update. I will pass this to the relevant team.

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo