New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE Proliant DL385 GEN 10 Installation and Smart Array problems

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fl0w
Occasional Advisor

HPE Proliant DL385 GEN 10 Installation and Smart Array problems

Hello.

I have some problems with setting up my new DL385 GEN 10 with AMD processor.
First of all. I made a bootable USB with Windows Server 2016 and went to Intellegent Provisioning for installation (After disk raids where made.). Choose to install from USB and off i went. After the first reboot, nothing happend. I tried to push F10 and reboot and still nothing. After a while of trying i got a notification that i could update some firmware to the server, so i did. This failed and after this i go an error stating the system has an internal error and i need to dowload the latest Intellegent Provisioning ISO and reinstall it. When looking troug the forums here i find others with the same problem and the solution is to download and install a newer version of Intellegent Provisioning the file it where reffering to is this from this thread. After installing this i went ahead and tryed to install again. Only to see i can no longer see the disks in the installation help. Image 1 Image 2.

Please help with me to fix this.

Fl0w
5 REPLIES 5
Fl0w
Occasional Advisor

Ok, So i have fixed the problem with the IP. I can now see my discs and i have no FW errors.

My problem now is that i try to install Windows Server 2016 trough a USB with IP. I have tried with a bootable USB made with rufus. I have also just inserted a USB with only the ISO file. The installation starts and works up to 100% after a reboot nothing happends. There is nothing installed on the server.

I have also tried to install trough ILO with a virtual DVD from the ISO file. with both Windows server 2016 and 2012 R2.
No luck..

If i try to boot directly onto the bootable USB is says "Loading files" and then the sceen gets black with the HPE Logo.
What am i doing wrong here?

Fl0w
BPSingh
HPE Pro

Greetings!

May I know the version of Intelligent provisioning that you have updated on the server?

I understand you have tried to install from USB as well as from iLO.

Please perform the following steps:

1. Please do a manufacturing default in BIOS, go to Smart Storage administrator, delete and re-create logical drive and check.

2. Please try a manual installation and check (without Intelligent provisioning)  

3. I believe you are trying with a good known OS image. already. 

4.  Also, check what mode are you installing the OS..GUI or core (cli)

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Fl0w
Occasional Advisor

Hello, BPSingh!
Thank you for your reply.

IP version is now: 3.30

1. Please do a manufacturing default in BIOS, go to Smart Storage administrator, delete and re-create logical drive and check.
- BIOS is now resetted. Logical Drives has been deleted and created again.
Array A. 2x 300GB SAS HDD RAID 1
Array B. 3x 2.4TB SAS 512e HDD RAID 5

2. Please try a manual installation and check (without Intelligent provisioning)
- I get windows boot manager, the files load and then i get the HPE Logo where it just stops..

3. I believe you are trying with a good known OS image. already.
- I have tried Windows Server 2012 R2 and 2016.

4. Also, check what mode are you installing the OS..GUI or core (cli)
- I install GUI.

Fl0w
Fl0w
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Fixed.

When installing Windows Server directly on to HPE DL385 server with AMD processor.
Go to BIOS settings - Virtualization - Turn OFF IOMMU.

Why this bug issnt fixed yet is beyond me. I found a report about this dated back to 2018.

Fl0w
BPSingh
HPE Pro

Thank you for the update. I will pass this to the relevant team.

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo