108813 Solutions
New Discussion ī„‚

Re: Updating and putting into HBA mode Smart Array P822

SOLVED
Go to solution
bkrg3
Advisor

Updating and putting into HBA mode Smart Array P822

How can I update Smart Array P822 I have tried using rom flash tools but its not seeing my PCIe card only the built-in P420i card and second thing, how can I put P822 into HBA mode I have tried using SPP but no results, the card is not displayed in firmware update and SSA. I have HPE ProLiant DL360p G8 in my homelab.

9 REPLIES 9
bkrg3
Advisor

The card has heartbeat LED blinking green and the card is recognised during POST the only issue is that It has an error 1783-Slot X Drive Array Controller Failure

bkrg3
Advisor

Also I was running the update tool in WinPE. The SPP that I used was Gen 8.1 (Part No. P03093-001)

Tam92
HPE Pro

Hello,

As the Heartbeat LED is blinking and there is a controller failure error message too, it seems that there is a hardware fault with this controller.

You can try the below steps to see if it comes up good and let you update the firmware.

1) Power drain the host
2) Reseat the P822 Controller
3) Update BIOS
4) Check if it is detected in the BIOS 
5) Run SPP and check if the firmware update was successful

6) If nothing works ,, you will have to consider replacing this controller.

Thanks,
TAM

I am an HPE Employee
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise

Accept or Kudo

bkrg3
Advisor

1. Already done
2. Also done
3. Again done
4. In the disk controller and PCIe section in the BIOS this card is properly identified as Smart Array P822, I can even choose that I want to boot form a drive connected to this controller
5. SPP under live image is not detecting this card, I am using SPP G8.1 I can try SPP G9.1

I think this fault might be because it doesnā€™t have a cache installed
Tam92
HPE Pro

Hello, 

Cache missing should not result in this issue. We suggest using Gen8.1 SPP for Gen8 servers.

You may refer to the content report of Gen9.1 . If the controller firmware update is listed there, you may proceed to mount, but select only the controller firmware update.

https://downloads.hpe.com/pub/softlib2/software1/publishable-catalog/p384162250/v138522/SPP2020.09.1ContentsReport.pdf

Thanks,
TAM

I am an HPE Employee
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise

Accept or Kudo

bkrg3
Advisor

I have asked for a refund the seller that I have bought this card from. I also found somwhere that P822 requieres the 2GB cache card

Tam92
HPE Pro

Yes, that is correct.. Cache is required, but that should not stop the firmware update is what i mean.

Here is the document for P822 controller https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/c04111513.pdf?jumpid=in_lit-psnow-getpdf

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

bkrg3
Advisor

@Tam92 Cache is missing and this card is not getting picked up by OS or SPP or FW updater or Windows

Tam92
HPE Pro
Solution

It would then be a fault with the hardware itself. You need to consider the replacement of the card.

Please contact HPE support for further Assistance 

HPE Support Case Manager

HPE Worldwide Contact

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo