New Discussion

Re: Devices showing offline in Data Protector Express 3.5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Syedfurquan
Trusted Contributor

Devices showing offline in Data Protector Express 3.5

Hi,

I have Data Protector Express 3.5 (Build 30483) and devies is sshowing offline. I tried to restart the Data Protector, Restart the Server but nothing worked.

Any help how to make the devices status online.

Attaching the screenshot for the reference.

Its very urgent. Any help will be very much appreciated

Regards,
Syed
17 REPLIES 17
Rajanikant
HPE Pro

hi,

I was looking through the screen shots provided and see that the server itself is offline... the reason is DPX base license is no more installed. It is possible that the license is deleted accedently.

Please re-add the license and every thing should work normally.

Also you can upgrade the DPX 3.x to the latest build available from the link http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=1144272&swItem=co-85516-1&prodNameId=3414345&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=0

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Syedfurquan
Trusted Contributor

Hi Rajanikant,

Thanks for your reply. My license is expired for Data Protector express 3.5 Single server edition.

So now I am planning to buy license but I am planning to buy

TC330B     HP Data Protector Express V6.0 for 1 Server LTU.

So for this do I need to uninstall my old DPE and install the new DPE V6.0 or just I can add the new license key on old DPE? 

Many thanks in Advance.

Regards

Syed

Regards,
Syed
Rajanikant
HPE Pro

Hi Syed,

You cannot use the 6.x licenses in 3.x software. Instead you can actually upgrade to 6.x and use it.  You have 2 options to proceed further: 

1. Install the 3.x application completely, fresh install 6.x, add the new license and use it.

2. If you want to retain the catalog of the existing database, you can use it in the new version. When you start to uninstall the existing 3.x, in the 2nd screen,you will have a check box " remove catalog" do NOT check this box and complete uninstallation process. This will leave the catalog files in the DPX installation folder and when you install the new version in the same location, it will use the same catalog instead of creating the new one.

Add the new license in the installation process 

Hope this helps....

Rajanikant

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Syedfurquan
Trusted Contributor

Hi Rajanikant,

Many thanks for so quick response and the valuable information provided. Ordered for the license, once get will go ahead with the installation steps you provided.

will update once done.

Once again many thanks for the support.

Regards,
Syed
Syedfurquan
Trusted Contributor

Hi Raj,

Need your help again. I have installed Data protector 6.0 1 server LTU. As per your your suggestions while uninstalling i have unchecked the option of removing catalogs. Now new DP has been installed and has been activated with teh license.

Now I am getting error while taking backup. When I am trying to backup from my old catalog it shows backup completed successfully but backup selected 0 bytes backup done 0 bytes.When I create a new backup template and try to run the backup it gives me error as the media in the device is not in the media lists for this job. Also for my old catalog I am not able to select the files for backup, it is not allowing me to select.

Anyhelp will be very much appreciated. Attaching some screen shots for reference.

Regards,
Syed
Rajanikant
HPE Pro

Hi Syed,

Looks like you need to make some changes to the backup settings before you continue. I think you are trying to use the old backup job that you had created in the DPX 3.x now. I will recommend to create a new job as required as there are a lot of enhancements done to the application.

While creating the backup job, remember to set the following

1. From Selections  drill down and select the files and folders manually for the first time. From the screen shot I can see that the complete file system is showing up a “0 bytes” this is normal.. the capacity will be shown only at last level of the tree structure such as a file. Like how you can see in the system state

2. From Device tab, select the drive you want to use for the backup as you have done now.

3. Confiming tab is the important one and you have 3 major configurations that need to be done

a. Schedule settings  select as required

b. Modes  Backup mode you have set was showing as “ snapshot” which I couldn't’t understand. Recheck and select the appropriate one

c. Auto format  set these options as appropriate and a mistake here is causing the error 1415. Example: if you enable “auto-format all media” you should not get any error like this

Try this and let me know the results. Otherwise you can even contact the HP support and ask for me if needed. I am reachable at rajanikant@hp.com

hope this helps

Rajanikant

I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo
Syedfurquan
Trusted Contributor

Hi Raj,

Many thanks for your continuous support. 

I have  a created a new template and I  am able to take backup also but the only problem now I am facing is that whenever I am trying to take backup of E:/ drives it is giving me error no disk space even I choose one single file from that directory.

I am able to take backup of rest all other drives and folders. Attaching some screenshots for the reference.

If you can help me on resolving this issue it will be very much appreciated. Please let me know if you need something else for analysis.

Regards,
Syed
Rajanikant
HPE Pro

Hi Syed,

The backup of E: drive may be difficult with 228MB free space. You will have to free up a couple of Gigs space on it even for small data backup.

The work around you can try to use if possible is to disable VSS snapshot usage when backing up this drive. you can do that from backup job properties à advanced à options à enable snapshots check box need to be disabled.

Create a backup job for only E drive as disabling snapshot will reduce the performance of the job

I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo
Syedfurquan
Trusted Contributor

Hi Raj,

Need your help again. I am now facing a new problem with my data protector. Whenever I am trying to start GUI of DPE it just get struck at “initializing user interface”. I tried so many things but it didn’t work for me like:

1. Reboot of the server. After reboot it will open but the moment I select any job or anything it get hangs.
  2. Killing of the process.
  3. Even I tried reinstalling of DP Express but that too didn’t help me out.

Any idea? Many thanks for your continuous support.

Attaching the screenshots of error I am getting now while trying to install DP.

Regards,
Syed