New Discussion

Issue with simple VLAN on 1910-8-PoE+ JG537A switch

SOLVED
Go to solution
Johan5
Occasional Advisor

Issue with simple VLAN on 1910-8-PoE+ JG537A switch

Hi All,

I do not have very much knowledge about Vlans, but I thought, this simple one, with only one switch can't be a big issue… well it could…
I want to connect security cameras and Wifi APs to my HPE1910-8-PoE JG537A switch.

I created two Vlans:
Nr 10 for the cameras and 20 for the AP's.
I configured port 1/0/1 and port 1/0/6 for VLAN 10, Untagged, Access, PVID 10.
All other ports are still on the default: VLAN 1, Untagged, Access PVID 1.
The camera-server is in Port 1/0/6. For, to me, unknown reason it added “Tagged membership 1, Link Type Hybrid”  automatically to the camera-server's port.

Now I cannot connect to the camera in port 1/0/1, but I can connect to the others.

Can anybody explain what I’m doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards, Johan

11 REPLIES 11
jmpk
HPE Pro

Re: Issue with simple VLAN on 1910-8-PoE+ JG537A switch

Hello Johan,

Let me start with tagged and Untagged definition here , 

Untagged - To connect host device

Tagged - Its a link where it carry multiple vlan eg interswich link ,When you configure a port as 'Tagged' you are telling the switch to place an 802.1q tag in the frame that can identify the VLAN that the frame came from.

Suggest to use PVID on tagged port only for receiving untagged packets. Since you are  connecting a camera suggest to use the port as access ( Untag ) .

When you config a port with only PVID ,it taggin the defult vlan in to and marking the port as Hybrid. 

Let me give you example where you can use PVID

[Ethernet 1/0/6] port trunk permit vlan 10 20

Setting the port to allow VLAN 10 (telephony) and VLAN 20 (Host)

[Ethernet 1/0/6] port trunk pvid vlan 20

Setting the port to send and receive non-tagueados frames on VLAN 20

I work for HPEAccept or Kudo
Johan5
Occasional Advisor

Hi JMPK,

Thanks for your reply! Much appreciated!

I’m afraid I’m still quite confused.

When I assign a VLAN number to a port, it also copies this to the pvid.

I do not want the camera-server to be connected to the Internet, just to the camera’s.

• Camera’s + server in VLAN 10
  • Internet Access Points in VLAN 20.

Was my plan to separate both.

• 1/0/1 Camera which does not work / no ping
  • 1/0/2 Camera which does work / can ping
  • 1/0/6 Camera server

Switch config picture 

Please advise?

Kind regards, Johan

jmpk
HPE Pro

Hello Johan,

From the config share, Port 1 using VLAN 10 and port 2 using VLAN 1 

As per your requirment you need to use VLAN 10 on port number 2 since you are connecting Camera into that .  So can you please let me know what are SVI you have crated on switch , i request you compare the IP address of the Camera which connect of VLAN 1 and VLAN 10 .

And make the port 6, as access if you want to use only the Camera Server 

I work for HPEAccept or Kudo
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi @jmpk just a note to be clear.

You reported this sentence: "When you config a port with only PVID ,it taggin the defult vlan in to and marking the port as Hybrid"...but that shouldn't be true.

Indeed a port with a particular PVID (Port VLAN ID) is a port that remove the tag (untagging) on egressing packets thus they will leave that port as untagged packets and is also the very same port of the switch where, internally to the switch [*], the tag is applied (tagging) on the ingressing untagged packets that are incoming...so a port with just the PVID configured shouldn't became an Hybrid port [**] as written...it should instead became just an Access mode port where its PVID is specified with the particular VLAN id chosen.

Avoid Hybrid ports...the OP should only use ports (re)configured in Access mode (when you are dealing with end/edge devices that are VLAN unaware so they "speak" only with untagged packets and generally their default VLAN id is 1) or ports (re)configured in Trunk mode (when there is the need to concurrently admit and transport various VLANs across devices or between a device and its connected switch port, the interface/port can be member of one untagged VLAN id + be also member of one or more tagged VLAN ids OR be just no untagged - PVID ophaned - and only member of one ore more tagged VLAN ids).

As you can note here there is a mix of terminology: HP ProCurve jargon uses the "port is (untagged/no untagged/tagged) member of one ore more VLAN id(s)" while the HP Comware jargon uses the "VLAN is untagged/tagge on that port"...exactly like the fact that HP Comware refers to interfaces...while HP ProCurve refers to ports. Apples and Oranges...but both are fruits.

[*] Consider that, internally to the switch, all packets flow tagged.

[**] Indeed the Hybrid port definition (existing on Comware devices) is: "Hybrid port: a Hybrid port allows traffic of some VLANs to pass through untagged and traffic of some other VLANs to pass through tagged. Usually, hybrid ports are configured to connect devices those support for VLAN-tagged packets are uncertain.".

That is explained on this old thread (where you copied the example of interface Ethernet 1/0/6).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
parnassus
Honored Contributor

@Johan5 wrote: I do not want the camera-server to be connected to the Internet, just to the camera’s.

So you need to (re)configure all interfaces where you connected IP Cameras and the IP Camera Server to be in Access Mode (Untagged into VLAN id 10):

• Fast Ethernet interface 1/0/1 should be Access mode with PVID 10
  • Fast Ethernet interface 1/0/2 should be Access mode with PVID 10
  • Fast Ethernet interface 1/0/6 should be Access mode with PVID 10

Fast Ethernet interfaces 1/0/3, 1/0/4 and 1/0/5 look not connected (Link Down).

Fast Ethernet interfaces 1/0/7 and 1/0/8 are Access with mode PVID 20 so we can suppose that both are used to connect (edge-/end-) hosts that need to reach the Internet (as you named the VLAN id 20), probably via one of the Trunk Mode interface (1/0/9 or 1/0/10).

Gigabit Ethernet interfaces 1/0/9 and 1/0/10 are used, each one, as Trunk mode with PVID 1 and Tagged VLAN id(s) 10 and 20, so they transport and admits packects flowing in and out with VLAN id 10 and/or VLAN id 20 tagged and/or VLAN id 1 untagged...it normally means that one of those ports (why two?) is connected to your gateway (to external networks like the Internet).

Edit: forgot to say...note that PVID = Untagged on all interfaces set to work in Access Mode, only the interface 1/0/6 is different with that regard...it has Untagged 1,10 exactly because it was set Hybrid (incorrectly or not, it doesn't matter) -> as suggested above, change its working mode into Access with PVID 10 and nothing else also correct interface 1/0/2 to match with interface 1/0/1 settings.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Johan5
Occasional Advisor

Hi JMPK,

As soon as I configure port 2 for Vlan10, access, I loose connection to the camera. That is the problem.

I did not configure any SVI manually, but if I check the setting it shows the IP address of the switch/24, which is in the same subnet as all camera's and the server. Vlan ID is 1.

I tried to change port 6 to Vlan 10/access, but it changes automatically back to Hybrid.  Even if I remove Vlan 1 ( Network -> Vlan -> Modify Port -> Not a Member). First time it looks OK, after a refresh of the screen it returns to Hybrid.

Saved the config and rebooted the switch, did not fix it.

Kind regards, Johan

Johan5
Occasional Advisor

Hi Parnassus,

As you describe is exactly as I understood from the manual. The problem is, it just doesn't work. That's why I'm so confused!

Let me explain a little more about the current network. It contains several switches. Connected to each other via Gigabit ports 9 and 10. In this particular switch (as last in the line) the camera server was in port 9. The camera's are in port 1->5. The Internet access in our museum is provided via two wifi AP's and a router connected via separate wiring. The camera-network switches were not configured so it worked all on the default Vlan 1.

Then the demand raised for more Internet wifi AP's. So I grabbed the manual of the switches, configured on each switch port 1 to 6 for Vlan 10/access, port 7 and 8 for Vlan 20/access, 9 and 10 as Trunk to transport it all. Also moved the camera server from port 9 to port 6.

But the whole thing just doesn't work. As soon as I configure a port on any switch for vlan 10, I loose connection to the camera. I used this particular switch to rule out the connection between the switches.

I reconfigured port 4 in another switch in the meantime, same issue: Camera's in port 1 and 2 are working, Camera in 4 is disconnected and un-pingable from the camera server. See below link for a screenshot of this switch.

Link to config Switch 4 

Your help is much appreciated!

Please advise!

Kind regards, Johan

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Wait. Camera should be unaware of the VLAN tagging, each Camera should output untagged traffic to the switch's port it is connected to...so if it is working for an IP Camera connected to a particular switch port it should work for another IP Camera connected to another switch port (configured with the same VLAN settings).

You say you lose the Camera...but...who is doing routing in your network topology? can you draw the topology and VLAN tag/untag on relevant ports (Switch-to-Switch and Device-to-Switch, at least for any relevant peer?)? I mean...if I place an IP Camera on interface 1/0/1 and 1/0/2 and 1/0/6 and those three interfaces are on the very same VLAN, simply PVID 1050 thus just Access Mode (that's because I like to use a fresh new unsued VLAN id 1050 "IP Video" with subnet 10.250.50.0/24 and SVI 10.250.50..254)...and IP Camera 1 is, as example, addressed with 10.250.50.1, IP Camera 2 with 10.250.50.2 and the IP Video Server with 10.250.50.253...all devices connected on the very same switch on interfaces listed above...then a ping test from the IP Video Server should be successful against IP Camera 1 and 2 (provided that all three devices are correctly addressed...with proper IP address, Subnet Mask and Defaut Gateway = SVI). That's the starting point.

Out of curiosity (to avoid strange issues): is your JG537A updated? see here and here.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Johan5
Occasional Advisor

Yep, that is exactly what I understoot from the manual....

This switch has the newest version firmware (1120) the others 1119. But will update them too.

I do not think it is a good idea to test the action you advised remotely. At the moment the camera's are up and working... So I'll go on site next saturday and see what happens if I do a fresh start and try your settings.

Regards, and thanks again!

Johan